The other day we were discussing how people change, especially young girls, in order to "fit" into society. It is clear to see when girls are trying to hard to put up a front and be someone they aren't. I also feel it's hard for anyone to completely be "themselves." We live in a world that is constantly shown what is considered "pretty" and is always showing us how we should look, dress, and act around others--and this goes for guys as well as girls. While we all have certain personality traits that are unique to ourselves, I believe everyone conforms in one way or another to what is expected of them from their peers.
Anthony brought up a good point in class during this discussion by saying how we all change our attitudes and actions based on our environment and situations. If we are with our family, tendencies are more polite, where with our friends a lot of people float to a more sarcastic tone. While working, it is important to be diligent and polite, especially if working in customer service--where patience also comes into play (and I speak that from experience). Basically everyone has their uniqueness to them, but we also have ways that we conform to those around us, even if it is only because of the situation we're placed in.
Ending of Caucasia
17 years ago
4 comments:
I agree. Girls have always been looked upon as something that has to be a sight. Media plays a huge role with that and tries to make us conform into something that just completely changes who we are.
Good post :)
That is so true! I really don't see how anyone can truly be considered "themselves". Normally their outfit is going to include some sort of popular or known brand name, and the way the do their hair could become tomorrow's new hair style. I think it just becomes annoying to think about how everybody is changing just because the trends are.
-alyssa
I totally agree with you hun, society today just won't allow you to be yourself all the time. So many things are expected of us and we are expected to act a certain way that we can sometimes lose our true selves in all of the acting that we are forced to do. No one can say that they act like their true self 100% of the time, because like you said, we have to be a certain way whether we are an employee or a student, we wouldn't make it in the world if we didn't put up certain fronts to please others. Sad, but true.
It is all so true. I also likes what Anthony said, because I have witnessed that first hand, with myself. I can honestly say I can tend to be three different people, at home, and work, and at school. I don't think I mean to do it though, it just comes self-consciencely for me.
Good blog Kristi!!
Post a Comment